Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cookies

If you’re looking for a nice treat that is healthy and doesn’t have a million calories, bake a batch of cookies. I’ve been trying not to eat a lot of desserts and sweets which is really a challenge around the Candlelight Inn B&B where I am baking and fixing desserts for guests a lot, but I just get hungry for something a little sweet. If I have a cookie nearby, it fills the bill and I can leave the rich and creamy stuff alone (well, mostly).

Everybody loves cookies. Kids will eat almost any kind as long as it doesn’t have the ingredients they don’t like, typically nuts. Some kids don’t like raisins, either, but there aren’t very many that don’t eat chocolate chips or peanut butter. And that’s the beauty of most cookie recipes; you can put in or take out most of the add-ins without ruining a good thing.

For years I had only one recipe that I wouldn’t share with anyone. It is an original peanut butter cookie that we serve here at the inn and I have gotten so many requests for it over the years that I felt sort of guilty—especially since it’s a cinch to make. But people told me that it was so good that I should enter it in Pillsbury’s Bake Off; so I decided to do just that. Meantime, I couldn’t give out the recipe because then it wouldn’t qualify as an original recipe.

Last year I did it. I sent in my recipe, albeit I had to add an ingredient I don’t usually use (Golden Grahams Cereal) to qualify for that year’s contest. Well, the recipe didn’t win anything; it didn’t even get past the first cut—so now I am giving it out to anyone who wants it. My new Candlelight Inn cookbook is at the printer’s and will be available soon and it’s in there, but here it is today as well:

Lynette’s Doubly Delicious Peanut Butter Cookies

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 cup smooth peanut butter (Peter Pan is our choice)
½ cup light corn syrup
½ cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chocolate chips
¼ cup creamy peanut butter

Combine flour, sugar, soda and salt in mixing bowl of stand mixer. Cut in butter and peanut butter until particles are fine, using low speed. Blend in corn syrup. Shape into 2-2” diameter rolls. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill or freeze until solid. Slice 1/8” thick with sharp thin knife. Place half the slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Place ½ tsp. peanut butter and 7 chocolate chips on each. Top with remaining slices. Seal edges with fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Here are two more cookie recipes we love and serve at the inn—they are chock full of healthy ingredients that aren’t too counterbalanced by the large amounts of butter and sugar. It is a good way to get your whole grains and fruit.

Cherry Chocolate Cookies

1 cup dried cherries (sweet or tart)
1 cup boiling water
1 stick soft butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup (packed) brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla
¾ cup white flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup white chocolate chips
½ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup chopped pecans.

Place dried cherries in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In mixer, combine butter and sugars. Mix for 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat. Beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in cherries, chocolate chips and pecans. Drop onto sheets by scoops about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Leave 3 inches between cookies. Bake 13-15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite with everybody, and the addition of oatmeal only makes them better, I think—as well as adding nutrition to a treat.

1 ¾ cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup soft butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. water
2 eggs
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 12-oz pkg. chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Put dry ingredients, except sugar, in medium bowl. Blend with whisk. Blend butter, sugar, vanilla and water in large bowl of stand-mixer. Beat in eggs. Add flour mixture and blend well. Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop onto ungreased cookies sheets and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment